Thursday, September 11, 2014

Chapter 6

The noblemen's boys haven't given up on me yet. They should. I have nothing to offer to them. I try to tell them to leave me alone but I can't get the words out. I can't speak. I feel so anxious I can barely breathe. I fall halfway down on my knees,  trying to keep myself conscious.
"Gentlemen, please let the lady be. There are easier girls around here", I hear from behind them. They grow visibly pale and run away. A man, around forty years of age and overwhelmingly charming, steps closer to where the boys had been. He takes off his silky glove and gives me his hand to help me up. I can't help but stare into his eyes. They're deep but cold, somehow. The color seems to be a mix of grey and green, I've never seen eyes like that before.
"Are you alright, milady?", he asks and bows down to me. I'd like to say I am but I'm not. He helps me to the nearest free seat and grabs  me a glass of water. I start feeling better again. I can breathe again.
"Thank you... and sorry. I'm sorry for making you do so much for me." I say. I almost break into tears but hold it back, somehow.
"Milady, you're not the one to apologize. It's all right. I think I'll teach those kids a lesson later. Just please sit here until you calm down a bit". For some reason he seems to be truly worried about me.
"But right now I've got some errands to take care of, may I ask for a chance to dance with you later tonight?". He kisses my hand and leaves. Only now I notice my mother, around ten feet away from me. She looks surprised, almost shocked, staring alternately at me and the man who brought me water. When he's out of sight she comes to me, almost running.
"If I had known this would happen I would've taken you here a lot sooner! How did you do that? You don't know how happy I am for you!". I have a feeling that she lost her mind. I back away from her a little. She grabs my shoulders.
"Don't you know who that man was? He's Lord Cain McCleary, the owner of the biggest ship company in the whole world. You really haven't heard of him?".
I shake my head. I've never heard the name before. Or if I have, I can't remember it. I was never interested in politics, economy or shipping industry. I can hear mother, talking to father.
"... And King Leopold hasn't even showed up yet! This is our chance to make some real connections, don't you think, love?". Father stays quiet. I have noticed that he never says a thing, at least when I'm around.
"Miss Elena Müller, I presume?", I hear from behind me. It's a short, harmless-looking man with a simple suit and a walking stick.
"That's me, yes", I answer. I can tell he sees the way I look at him.
"I'm sorry to intrude but are you interested in philosophy?". As I hear him ask the question I can feel excitement growing inside me. I know I could talk about philosophy for hours upon hours. I start talking without thinking, asking his opinion about certain subjects. After a while he asks me to stop and catch my breath. I apologize for getting too excited.
"I-it's all right, milady, I was just surprised. But I'll let you back to whatever you were doing. Sorry for taking your time." That was an unusual conversation, I have to admit. There must be some ulterior motive to it. For some reason I have a feeling that the night isn't over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment