Monday, October 13, 2014

Chapter 10

17th of St.Augustus

Entry 13

I woke up in the dirt next morning. I still felt like I'd been hit by a train. I knew I needed help. Fast. I was still bleeding a bit and I think a few bones were broken. I started walking towards home, slowly and painfully. After a while I couldn't take it anymore and fell on my stomach. Being conscious in this state felt horrible and there was nothing I could do about it.

I passed out again.

I awoke to a sharp pain on my side. It took a while to realize that I wasn't on the street anymore. I was in a small, old room, lying on a worn bed. As I tried to get up I noticed that I was tied down. I looked on my right and saw a poor girl cleaning my wounds. She didn't care whether I was awake or not, she was fully concentrated on healing me.
"Shut up", she said after I tried to ask where I was. Since there was nothing else I could do I relaxed the best I could and eventually fell asleep. It didn't hurt much anymore.
I woke up after a few hours, or at least it felt like it. My body ached when I sat up. When I stood up I realized that I had nothing but bandages on and almost fell on my knees. My legs felt weak. I got on my feet and forced myself to walk to the nearest door. Right before I opened it someone grabbed my wrist and pulled my arm back.
"You can't go there!", she hissed. She was the same girl as before. "Lord is there and he doesn't allow strangers in his house". She handed me a black, plain dress, similar to what she's wearing.
"Here, put this on. You need to get out of here". I tried to dress up the best I can but it isn't easy. My body was hurting all over and the dress felt really tight around my shoulders and arms. On the other hand, it felt very loose around my bust because of my nonexistent breasts.
After the dress was finally on she led me through the back door. I walked as fast as I could, constantly supporting myself against the walls.
"Here's the money you had in your pockets. I had to throw the clothes away, though, I hope you don't mind. I already took what I need to replace the bandages and other supplies I used on your wounds, I don't want to get caught stealing them. Now, go wherever you need to go before they find out about you". She dropped two pounds on my hand and pushed me through the backyard gate, locking it after me. I didn't understand what just happened. Who was she? Why did she help me? Who does she work for, and who are 'they'? And more importantly, why was there money in the pockets of my brother's suit? I started walking towards my brother's place, slowly but steadily, eventually reaching it after a few hours.
When I finally got there it was already dark. I opened the door with the key he always keeps under a potted plant nearby and realized that it was very dark inside. He should have been home already. I look around, finding nothing but the parakeet my brother holds dear. I fed him because he seemed hungry. I went to the kitchen, ate an apple and fell asleep on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment