Saturday, February 28, 2015

Chapter 11

I woke up to the parakeet freaking out in its cage. 'Damn bird, I should've skinned you years ago.', I thought as I got up from the couch. My hair was all messy and tangled and I'd lost my hair tie somewhere. I nudged the cage of the bird a little, silencing it for a second. I nudged it again, then the third time, until it finally stopped. I yawned and turned in order to go to the kitchen to get something to eat.
I could see the sun through the curtains as I stepped into the kitchen.The window there was the only one I had forgot to close last night. I couldn't look outside because my eyes hurt from the bright light.  I picked up another apple and finally got a good look around. I didn't notice how messy it was before now. I saw clothes all over the floor, cabinets and drawers more or less open and papers and trash everywhere. I also noticed a note on the table.

Joce,
Something sudden came up and I had to leave the country for a few weeks. I left some money in one of your drawers. Please feed Pete while I'm away.
XXXX-Mike

'Great. Thanks a ton'. I got pretty mad at him for not saying a word about it. I threw things around for a while until I decided to check how much money he had left for me.  First drawer - empty. Second - empty. After searching through all my drawers but ending up empty-handed, I headed for the alcohol cabinet. As I took out my favorite bottle of Gin, I noticed something behind it - a note. I put the bottle on the counter near by and opened the note.

Sister, sorry about lying and not telling you. It's just that there's something after me. Something big. I think it'll take a bit longer than a few weeks until it's safe for me to get home. Actually, I think you should hide somewhere too. I bet whatever's after me will be guarding our home in case I'd stupidly wander there. Please, find someplace safe and take care of yourself.
I'm praying for your safety,
xoxo Michael
P.S. Feed Pete. Seriously. And don't spend all of it on drinking.

I almost couldn't believe it. It seemed so unreal. But I knew it was Mike's handwriting. And he'd never call himself as 'mike', ever. I counted the money that came with the note. 100$...500$...1200$...3000$ in total. Three grands. I could buy a whole house with those and fill the basement with gin. I took a big swig of the drink next to me. After thinking about it for a moment I decided to pick everything I'd need, and Pete, and leave the house. I dressed up as a street rat and headed out.
 I thought about  buying a whole house for myself but gave that idea up - too risky. Things like that could get around like a wildfire. Someone as poor-looking as I was, buying a whole house, with cash no less, would be considered very suspicious. I ended up going to a bar close to our apartment and bought a new bottle of gin, ending up staying there until late evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment